9 Tips You Should Know For Your Engagement Session
So you just set the date for your engagement session, what’s next? You’re feeling pumped, but nervous at the same time, you don’t know what to do, what to wear for the session, questions start coming to your head. Good news is, it’s totally normal, and I have some tips for you to crush this! Here are 9 tips you should know for your engagement session:
1. Be yourself: I want to capture who you are and your love story, in order for me to do that, I invite you to be open up to me and let me see your true self, the one at home when no one is looking. Don’t be afraid to show me your gut laugh, goofiness, and let me capture all the messy moments because I want you to look back years from now and remember how much fun you had for this exciting moment
2. Choose your element: Location is very important. Think of a place that you both love spending time as a couple and a place that means something to you. Are you perfectly happy snuggling on the couch and watching your favorite shows? Then have it done at your place. Are you an adventurous couple who enjoys spending your weekend’s hiking? We’ll hike to your favorite mountaintop and take your photos there. Is the water your element? Be ready to get wet playing with each other while soaking in the sunset. Here are some location suggestions in San Diego for your engagement session.
3. Go for the “golden hour”: You probably have heard of the term “golden hour.” It is one hour after sunrise and one hour before sunset. During this time, the light is very glorious and magical, plus the weather is not too intense so you won’t have to worry much about your makeup being affected and all that sweats.
4. Wear comfortable outfits: Choose something that you feel confident and comfortable in because worrying too much about your outfit will take away the fun time you should be having. So dress like yourself!
5. Keep things minimal: As we will be moving quite a bit, keeping it simple is the way to go. Leave your purse, props, and heavy stuff at the car so it will be easier for us to get dirty, climb, twirl, dance! Let’s just focus on playing rather than finding a spot to leave your stuff. When the in-between moments come, you probably don’t want a photo of you two holding hands on one side and a plastic bag of props on the other side.
6. Treat it like a special date: Don’t rush into getting it done! Take your time and make it like a day-long date. It is an experience you have never done before so let the excitement build up. Grab a drink before the session to warm up, feel romantic and connected. Try a new restaurant that you have always wanted to after the session to complete a perfect day together!
7. Trust me! A lot of you worry that you are not photogenic, you don’t know what to do in front of the camera. No worries – just refer back to tip number 1 and you are going to be okay! I would give you directions and let you play it your ways! I will hide behind a bush to capture everything, and only come up to adjust to make sure things look good!
8. Bring your playlist: can’t say enough the benefits of music! Bring on the music that you love! It will help calm your nerve, set the mood, and let both of us feel connected! Personally, I enjoy listening to new songs (from you) on repeat while editing, it brings me back to your memories when I play it again later or I hear it elsewhere!
9. Relax and have fun! If you can remember only one thing out of this post, this should be it! Enjoy the time you have together, soak in the moment, celebrate this exciting time, because it is wonderful to have each other in life! Just have fun and I will take care of the rest!
Not sure if an engagement session is right for you? Here are 5 reasons why you should.